As gross as it sounds, mold is all around us. Mold plays an important role in the natural process of decay and is used to make products, from cheese to penicillin. If left untreated by water damage, however, mold can damage your home and your health. The key to mold prevention is moisture control. Here are some tips on how to avoid indoor moisture and the mold that thrives there.
Know where mold grows and know your problem areas.
There is no way to mold-proof your entire home, but you can make it mold-resistant. If you know your problem areas, then you’ll know where moisture lingers. Basement flooding and frequent condensation on the windows are sure signs of excess moisture. Preventing mold from growing might mean replacing the carpet in a damp basement, installing mold-resistant products, or even repairing damaged gutters.
Install proper ventilation to prevent moisture.
Everyday activities such as cooking, showering, and running the washing machine can invite mold into your home without proper ventilation. Always vent appliances that produce moisture such as bathrooms, stoves, and dryers, to the outside of the home. When possible, open a window when cooking, washing dishes, or showering to let moisture out. AC units and dehumidifiers also need to be checked and cleaned periodically.
Improve the airflow in your home.
As temperatures drop, the air holds less moisture. Without good air flow, that extra moisture can show on your walls, windows, floors, and furniture. Increase airflow in your home by opening doors between rooms, opening doors to closets, and moving furniture away from walls.
Use mold-resistant products.
Many companies make mold-resistant products like drywall and sheetrock, as well as mold inhibitors for paints. Mold-resistant drywall is paperless and excellent for rooms prone to moisture such as bathrooms, basements, kitchens, and laundry rooms. Mold-resistant gypsum board is also available. The core of the drywall is made to prevent moisture absorption to block mold growth.
Dry wet areas immediately.
Without moisture, mold cannot grow. Water damage of any kind should be dried within 24 to 48 hours. Even everyday routines need attention, like leaving wet items lying around and wet walls after cooking or showering. Also, wet clothes in the washing machine can cause mold to spread quickly.
If It’s Too Late, Don’t Hesitate to Call
If the mold and mildew in your home are beyond prevention, call a professional restoration service. Don’t take a chance with the potential health risks that mold can cause you and your family. American Fire and Water Restoration is a full-service restoration company at the ready to handle your water damage and mold issues. Call 847-514-9305 today for a consultation.